Wednesday, April 19, 2017

My Favorite Coluan: Adventures of Superman Annual #2 & L.E.G.I.O.N. '90 Annual #1 (1990)


My favorite Coluan is by far the Legion of Super-Heroes' Brainiac 5 - and I love reading stories about his adventures in the far future.  But if there's anything better than reading about 1 Brainiac, it's reading about 2!  Brainiac 5's infamous descendants, Vril Dox I, better known as one of Superman's greatest enemy, Brainiac & Vril Dox II were central to a 1990 x-over between the Man of Steel and the interstellar peacekeeping organization, L.E.G.I.O.N.

Please join me as I recap and comment on this story featuring two Doxes and lots of  'daddy issues' - as it's not only a great read, but also has some special significance to the super-future teens of the Legion of Super-Heroes!

Download this episode HERE!

Podcast promo: Superman Fan Podcast

Scroll down to see a few images from these issues below, and check out previous episodes of I'm the Gun on iTunes & Google Play!

Thanks for listening!
A little family history

Clark Kent & Lar Gand: toe to toe & blow for blow

Superman's Moe Howard finishing move

A rare case of 2 Vril Doxes losing control of their emotions

With friends like these . . .

Supes has time to squeeze in one more lecture

2 comments:

Anj said...

Everybody's favorite Coluan is Brainiac 5.

That said, Vril at one point was a close second in my book.

Like you, I didn't buy L.E.G.I.O.N. back in the day. I will occasionally pick up an issue from the cheap bin, always based on how cool the cover is. And, as you say, they are decent.

I loved the REBELS book that came out 5-6 years ago. That really showed how Vril is a bastard. He has decent goals but his means are pretty fascist. Reviewed them all on my site if intrigued.

marksweeneyjr said...

I bought the entirety of REBELS in one shot after the series folded, and really enjoyed it - Bedard had a good take on Dox, and allowed him to shine in his oh, so Machiavellian way.

I definitely plan on heading over to Supergirl Comic Box Commentary to read your thoughts - thanks for the tip!